Substitute Bus Drivers
Mt. Vernon Community School Corporation is seeking Substitute Bus Drivers with a valid CDL license. Our Bus Drivers are an essential part in our educational system, and we value their contribution. MVCSC is looking for friendly and dedicated bus drivers who enjoy the sound of children laughing, singing and playing to join our team.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) w/ S endorsement
- D.O.T. Physical and Physical Fitness Certificate
- Indiana D.O.T. Safety Certificate
- Be able to Pass Indiana Physical Performance Standards
- Clean driving record.
- Drivers need to be 21 years of age
- Must be able to pass and extended criminal history background check.
- Safe and efficient transportation of students on a daily basis.
- Reasonable knowledge of laws, regulations and policies as they apply to school bus driving.
- Knowledge of employer’s policies and procedures as outlined in the Employment Contract, transportation manual, Memorandum of Understanding, School Board Policies and School Board Bylaws.
- Maintains discipline on the bus and provides a safe environment for all students.
- Reports undisciplined students to officials designated by the school.
- Inspects the school bus each day as required by CDL regulation.
- Reports any malfunctions or problems to the School Bus Mechanic.
- Delivers the school bus to the garage to maintain mechanical condition.
- Uses the radio system professionally.
- Maintains and turns in all paperwork in a timely manner.
- Maintains adequate supply of fuel in the assigned bus.
- Maintains a clean bus inside and out.
- Remains alert and cautious at all times.
- Attends safety meetings and other training sessions as required.
- Looks for incidents of students being bullied by others and reports them.
- Notifies supervisor of all accidents involving the school bus.
- Notifies supervisor of any injury to the students or anyone else on the bus.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Personal and Professional Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates professional action, speech, and appearance.
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy of all concerned.
- Refrains from bad social habits
- Nurtures a positive relationship with super-ordinates, subordinates, and peers
- Demonstrates respect for all
- Supports Corporation decisions and direction relative to matters of policy and administrative directives. Works as a team player.
- Deals with sensitive issues in a tactful and professional manner.
- Addresses concerns and offers suggestions in an appropriate and confidential manner.
- Notifies supervisor of all moving vehicle citations.
Substitute Bus Driver Hourly Rate: $21.22 Bus Driver Hourly Rate: $26.00
Substitute Bus Drivers may have the opportunity to move into a Bus Driver position if a route becomes available.
Interested applicants without a commercial driver’s license (CDL) should still apply; MVCSC will assist the applicant through the process of attaining their CDL with S endorsement. Upon the completion of a year of service, the skills test expense will be reimbursed.
To Apply: Submit a classified application to Rita Osborn at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions can be sent to Rita Osborn by email or phone at 317-485-3100, ext 5102.