IUPUI had some big dreamers visiting their campus in September! As a part of the Hancock County Promise, nearly 1,000 kindergarteners flooded the IUPUI campus and were involved in activities that helped inspire their futures beyond high school. This annual event was held at IUPUI’s Michael A. Carroll Stadium.
The Hancock County Promise program aims to foster a community-wide culture where all students have the opportunity to open a CollegeChoice 529 Direct Savings Account. The program strives to ensure every student believes they can have a post-secondary education and has their community’s support. All kindergarten students in Hancock County participate in lessons from their teacher about saving for their future before they visited IUPUI.
At IUPUI, students “Walked into Their Future” and dreamt of their life after high school. They were engaged with hands-on activities, met college students, and learned about possible careers or areas of study. Some of the various stations the kindergarteners visited include: learning about needs versus wants, playing soccer with IUPUI the soccer team and doing drills with the IUPUI Army Reserve Officer Training Corps.
Each district or school, identified in their individual color shirts, made the promise that if they work hard, their community will work hard to help them be successful in pursuing their dreams. Teachers prepared students before the field trip by discussing goals after high school and talking about college.
Mr. Scott Shipley is the Hancock County Promise Director and also the Director of Curriculum at the Mt. Vernon Community School Corporation. Shipley states, “We are pleased with the partnership with IUPUI and are looking forward to inspiring the kindergarteners with dreams and hopes for their future. Hancock County is proud to showcase IUPUI to students as a great institution with many career opportunities to pursue.”
The Hancock County Promise has five steps:
1) Kindergarten parents sign up online for the Hancock County Promise www.HancockCountyPromise.org, and follow the email to open a CollegeChoice 529 Direct Savings account for the child
2) Receive $25 contribution in each kindergartener’s 529 account from the following community partners: Hancock Health, Greenfield Banking Company, NineStar, and Tyner Pond
3) All Hancock County kindergarteners, with or without a 529 Direct Savings Account, visit IUPUI and dream of their future.
4) Kindergarteners find champions to donate $25+ to their 529 Direct Savings Account
5) Another $25 is donated into the kindergartener’s 529 Direct Savings Account by local community partners, such as Meijer for the Mt. Vernon Community School Corporation kindergarteners.
The IUPUI “Dream of Their Future” activity is a capstone event for the Hancock County Promise program and helps implement the culture where the community believes a post-secondary education can be attained by all. www.HancockCountyPromise.org
Click HERE to view photos from the Hancock County Promise "Walk into My Future" event.