Safety is a Top Priority to Keep Students and Staff Safe
The Mt. Vernon Community School Corporation takes student and staff safety very seriously. Several measures have been taken to ensure a safe and secure learning environment is provided. Here are a few:
- All students and staff have lanyards that identify themselves.
- All schools have certified and trained School Safety Specialists who get recertified each year through the Indiana Department of Education.
- MVCSC has a school resource officer at every building.
- All staff has the Rave Panic Button app on their phones, which directly connects with 911.
- Each school goes through security training and all prescribed state drills including fire, tornado and disaster.
- The Director of Operations is part of the Hancock County emergency management system, which coordinates emergency situations for the county.
- Each Mt. Vernon school uses Lobby Guard to screen visitors entering the school.
- Each school also has a secure entry way so that during school hours, visitors must press a "call button" to have access to the vestibule.
- All Mt. Vernon schools and buses are provided with high-tech safety features including video surveillance.
- Local and county police train frequently in each of our school buildings to prepare for any situation. This enables the police to be familiar with the Mt. Vernon buildings' layout to help in an emergency.
- Mt. Vernon has very tight relationships with our local and county law enforcement agencies.
- Mt. Vernon High School has random contraband searches with local police, using drug-sniffing dogs periodically throughout the year.
- Each school has a safety team that meets regularly, as well as annually reviews and updates their school safety plan.
- Each school's safety plan is not posted on the website for the safety of our schools.
- The safety protocol terminology document is linked in ParentSquare for parents/guardians to view.
- Please see the School Safety Communication webpage for details and FAQ's regarding when, how and why the district communicates about safety.
- The district crisis team, comprised of administration and members of each school's crisis team meets regularly to discuss safety measures.
- All staff have photo identification key cards to identify themselves as staff and to allow entry into their building during specific days/times.
MVCSC is administered with the practice of protecting all children as if they are their own. Student and staff safety is continually addressed and updated to keep safety in the forefront.