Kindergarten Students Wanting to Enroll for the 2023-2024... Here's the Process!
Follow these simple steps to register your Class of '36 kindergarten student to attend Mt. Vernon in 2023-2024!
Step 1 - Online Registration for In-District Kindergarteners - By May 1!
Children who have not attained the age of five (5) by August 1st shall not be eligible for entrance into the kindergarten program nor shall a child who is not six (6) years old be eligible for entrance into first grade, unless the parents submit an appeal. The appeal process can be found HERE.
Note: Former or current Mini-Marauder Preschool students can skip the online registration - these students are already in Skyward. No action in Skyward is needed for Mini-Marauder Preschool students until mid-July when parents are asked to register their returning student in Skyward Family Access.)
Follow the directions for whichever path applies to you:
We Live In the District:
- We have older Mt. Vernon Students: Current Mt. Vernon families wishing to register a new kindergarten student should log into their Skyward Family Access and select “New Student Online Enrollment.”
- We do not have any current Mt. Vernon Students: New in-district Mt. Vernon families should register their kindergarten student for next year by requesting a new family enrollment account through the New Student Online Enrollment.
We Live Out-of-District:
- We Live Out-of-District: Please note that McCordsville Elementary is closed to new Out-of-District/Transfer families. Out-of-District/Transfer MV families wishing to attend Mt. Vernon in 2023-2024 MUST fill out an application to attend MVCSC during the Out-of-District/Transfer Application Windows (April 14-24 or May 5-15). Do not complete the online registration.
- Wait until you receive an acceptance/denial notification in mid-June. After receiving an approval letter, you will then need to register online and continue with step 2.
Step 2 - Bring Documents into the Elementary School
Parents/guardians of new in-district, or out-of-district students that have received approval notification in June, should bring the following items to the school after completing the online registration.
- Copy of student's birth certificate
- Copy of immunization records (2023-2024 Required & Recommended Immunizations per the Indiana Dept. of Health)
- Any pertinent health-related documents (e.g. emergency action plans or diabetes medical management plans)
- Proof of residency with name and address (proof of legal settlement consisting of a residential building permit, rental agreement, property tax statement, voter registration card or two current utility bills dated within 60 days of student enrollment).
- Driver's license or identification card
- Copy of court papers if there is any custody arrangement
- Individual education plan (IEP) if applicable
- Approval notification (June) if live out-of-district
Step 3 - Attend Back to School Nights
All elementary schools are planning for an onsite kindergarten visit for kindergarten students and meet the teachers before school begins (dates TBD). Be sure to watch for communication from the school and check the elementary school's webpage for details.