Essential Assistance & Resources Available

Last Updated: 2/26/2021 5:38 PM

Vernon Township Assistance

If you live in Vernon Township and are in a financial emergency situation, please see for details as they may be able to provide assistance. If a resident of McCordsville, Fortville or Unincorporated Area of Vernon Township needs financial assistance with utilities, rent, mortgage payment, essential medicine, or food, contact the township office at 317.485.7327 x1. The Vernon Township advises that residents should apply for unemployment and SNAP as needed and should spend their CARE and/or Stimulus checks wisely to avoid evictions and disconnects when the COVID-19 is over. 

Rent or Mortgage Assistance Flyer

Rent or Mortgage Assistance

Please see the State Rental Assistance Program for rent assistance and Hoosiers Hardest Hit for mortgage assistance flyer for details. Those needing assistance are encouraged to place their request as soon as possible as funds are not unlimited. 


Healthy 365 Services From Hancock Health

Healthy 365 Connection Center staff are available to help assist anyone with their needs especially those focused on mental health, substance use, and food. In addition, Healthy 365 is officially providing transportation to necessary doctors' appointments including pharmacy for those who are unable to get there on their own. We are also able to deliver food to those in emergency need who are not able to get to a drive-thru pantry on their own or with assistance from friends or family. The foods delivered are provided by the Hancock County Food Pantry. Healthy 365 staff are also able to pick up groceries from the Walmart online order pick up in the event someone is able to order and pay for groceries on their own but are quarantined or otherwise have no way of getting to the store. All of these requests are screened, are dependent on the availability of staff, and not all requests are granted. 317-468-4231


Interlocal Community Action Program, Inc 

Weatherization Pre-Application

The weatherization program funded by Department of Energy and IHCDA is managed by ICAP, a not for profit. This program runs all year and is a free program for homeowners, renters need landlords involved. The program focuses on making a home more energy efficient and making sure the home has a safe furnace and water heater. The ultimate goal is to save a homeowner 20% on energy costs throughout the year through air sealing, insulations, light bulbs and other energy saving measures. The income eligibility is 200% poverty, example households of 5 can gross up to $61,360. Renters are eligible; there are just a few more steps that have to be processed. The #1 misconception of the program is that it is an emergency furnace replacement program. This is not true. Furnaces will be looked at but do not have to be broken to be eligible for the program.