As Mt. Vernon students are getting accustomed to their blended learning environment and Delayed Start Wednesdays, let’s add just one more benefit to the 1:1 Initiative: eLearning Days. Old man winter can provide many negatives, but this year families at Mt. Vernon Community School Corporation (MVCSC) will experience a big positive with the weather challenges: learning will continue in spite of inclement weather.
Due to the recent infusion of a technology-rich environment at MVCSC, students will continue to learn at home during school cancellations this winter. The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) has officially approved MVCSCfor eLearning Days, known as the Inclement Weather Virtual Learning Option, to provide another alternative to school cancellations. This option is available only to those school corporations with a personal computer device for each student.
How eLearning Days will Work:
- Students will have regular assigned classwork on eLearning Days, and their teachers will be available virtually.
- Students will still be required to complete and submit all assignments, as well as communicate with their teacher during the virtual eLearning days.
- For students with internet connectivity challenges, they will be encouraged to download their assignment during school so they can work on their device offline at home during the eLearning Day. This will allow the student to continue to progress academically, and upload their work next time they are at school or have connectivity.
- A technology hotline will be available during eLearning days for technology-related issues.
- Teachers will be expected to make contact with students, track virtual attendance, and be available to students during virtual office hours.
To prepare for upcoming eLearning Days, kindergarten through seventh grade will be practicing a “mock” eLearning Day at school. The elementary schools will get in the spirit of learning at home by celebrating with a pajama day. The elementary schools’ eLearning practice days are scheduled from 8-10 a.m. on November 12 and 25. The iPads will be sent home on those days to test internet connection. In addition, Mt. Comfort Elementary will have a parent info night on November 12 in the cafeteria from 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Benefits of eLearning Days:
- The opportunity for growth and increased achievement is far more appropriate for students to learn during the school year than after the state achievement tests have been administered, which is when snow make-up days would regularly occur.
- There will not be any make-up days.
- Students and staff will be learning/teaching in their own home setting.
To learn more about eLearning for Inclement Weather, visit MVCSC’s “1:1 Plan” tab, or http://www.mvcsc.k12.in.us/Content/1-1plan. Additional information can be found on the Indiana Department of Education’s website at www.doe.in.gov/elearning/virtual-option-inclement-weather.
MVCSC would like to thank parents for their support as we continue to challenge all Mt. Vernon students with virtual opportunities and provide academic excellence.