Safety is a Top Priority at Mt. Vernon to Keep Students and Staff Safe
The Mt. Vernon Community School Corporation takes student and staff safety very seriously. Several measures have been taken to ensure a safe and secure learning environment is provided. Here are a few:
- All schools have certified and trained School Safety Specialists who get recertified each year through IDOE.
- MVCSC has a school resource officer focused primarily on the non-Fortville campus schools: McCordsville Elementary and the Mt. Comfort Elementary. For the Fortville campus schools (Mt. Vernon High School, Mt. Vernon Middle School, and the Fortville Elementary), MVCSC employs off-duty police offers to keep the campus secure.
- Each school goes through security training and all prescribed state drills including fire, tornado and disaster.
- The Assistant Superintendent is part of the Hancock County emergency management system, which coordinates emergency situations for the county.
- Each Mt. Vernon school uses Lobby Guard to screen visitors entering the school.
- Each school also has a secure entry way so that during school hours, visitors must press a "call button" to get "buzzed in" to the front office.
- Three Mt. Vernon schools and all buses are provided with high-tech safety features including video surveillance.
- Local and county police train frequently in each of our school buildings to prepare for any situation. This enables the police to be familiar with the Mt. Vernon buildings' layout to help in an emergency.
- Mt. Vernon High School has random contraband searches with local police, occasionally using drug-sniffing dogs.
- Each school has a safety team that annually reviews and updates their school safety plan.
- All staff have photo identification key cards to identify themselves as staff and to allow entry into their building during specific days/times.
MVCSC is administered with the practice of protecting all children as if they are their own. Student and staff safety is continually addressed and updated to keep safety in the forefront.